Air Commodore Raymond (for Air Commodore is how he is referred to affectionately by Biggles and co. for most of their careers, whether or not he was still in the R.A.F.), is such a fixture in the Biggles stories that it might be easier to list the stories where he doesn't appear. Indeed he might have more appearances than Algy--that has not been researched. Raymond also shows up in the stories of Gimlet, Worrals and Steeley.
For readers, Raymond represents the fatherly figure of authority, the person who indulges in his subordinates and even tolerates their excesses but nonetheless backs them up. He is often also the fixer, arranging for permits and loans of aircraft and equipment. What staff he relies on to do these things we never meet, but obviously he would have needed the equivalent of Miss Moneypenny or a whole section of them. He also has a wide network of overseas contacts which he introduces to Biggles to help him on his missions. He is most often seen in his office but occasionally takes to the field to lend support or pull his subordinates out of a tight spot.
Known Biographical DetailsEdit
- His initials are R.B. (from Biggles Fails to Return). What they stand for is never revealed.
Milesstones in Raymond's CareerEdit
Raymond's appointments and ranks change throughout his career, often quite rapidly--for such is the lot of talented men who produce results.
- Biggles & Co - Rank: Colonel. The first time Biggles meets Raymond since the end of World War 1. He has become Assistant Commissioner at Scotland Yard. He recommends Biggles to Carstairs as the man to run a private airline to ferry valuable shipments of gold.
- Biggles in the Baltic - Rank: Colonel. According to Biggles, Raymond is "back at his old job on Air Intelligence.
- Worrals on the War-Path - Rank: Air Commodore. In charge of the Special Operations Branch at the Air Ministry. According to Squadron Leader Yorke, he had recently been with Intelligence.
- Biggles Fails to Return - Rank: Air Commodore. His appointment on the panel of his door is "D.S.O. Air Intelligence" but that doesn't mean he is not in charge of Special Operations. The mission he sends Biggles for is more like Special Operations than Intelligence.
List of Appearances of RaymondEdit
First World WarEdit
- The Laughing Spy - Biggles is introduced to him for the first time. Major.
- Biggles' Surprise Packet
- Biggles Goes Ballooning
- The Packet - Colonel
- The Balloonatics - Colonel
- Camouflage - Colonel
- The Zone Call - Colonel
- Biggles and the Flying Camera - Major
- Biggles' Paperchase - Major
- The Rescue Flight - Major
- Biggles Flies East - Major
- Biggles' Christmas Tree! - Major
- The Carrier - Colonel
- The Bottle Party - Colonel
- The Professor Comes Back - Colonel
- The Thought Reader - Colonel, of 51st Wing Headquarters
- The Great Arena
- Affaire de Coeur - Colonel